How do we keep from getting the voice of our own thoughts confused with the voice of our Heavenly Shepherd who has promised to lead and guide us in the way we should go? This week Leslie is sharing how to hear God’s voice instead of your own and how to practically begin being led by His still, small voice to make wise decisions both big and small. Discover the unmatched delight found in silencing the noise of the culture and tuning into the One who is wisdom itself!
There are so amazing stories of our Christian heroes discerning God’s voice in their own daily lives in missionary biographies. Is it possible for us to be led in the same manner? Absolutely! This week I want to take a deeper look into a beautiful promise in Scripture that has greatly helped me in knowing how to hear His voice.
TAKING A DEEPR LOOK AT PSALM 37:4
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Delight — soft, pliable
Give — deliver, put
In order to delight in God and receive the desires of our hearts, we must be soft to His will and His ways. If we cling to our own desires, we aren’t truly delighting in Him. As we are soft and pliable towards His will, we can trust that He will place the right desires into our hearts that match His plans for our lives.
How can you know that God is shaping the desires of your heart?
You will begin to desire unusual, heavenly-minded things that might not naturally appeal to you.
Practical Step: if you have personal dreams, desires, and passions — begin by laying those things at the feet of Jesus and ask Him to shape the longings of your heart.
When Making Big Decisions:
- Spend time in His Word
- Wait upon God
- Ask Him to give you a clear sense of direction to your heart and from His Word
How to Keep from Being Wise in Your Own Eyes
- Beware of the pitfall of pride
- Acknowledge God as your King, Lord and Master — rather than a casual buddy
- Lift His thoughts and Word high above your own ideas and human wisdom
- Adapt your thoughts and decisions around His Truth
Two Practical Ways to Sharpen your Ability to Hear God’s Voice
- Turn down the noise — cut down on digital clutter in your life.
- Make Jesus your first turn — practice turning to God first for wisdom and advice rather than others.
Recognize that there is always more depth to discover in your relationship with Christ. This doesn’t mean that what you’re experiencing right now in your Christian walk is not real, valuable, or that we haven’t been led by God. Rather, it just means that there is always more to learn of Him and go deeper in our walk with Him. May “just a closer walk with Thee” be the cry of our hearts today!
- If you want to grow in distinguishing God’s voice, join our Late Summer Weeklong Program at Ellerslie! You’ll gain the tools you need to stand strong amid today’s culture. For upcoming program dates and information, visit us here.
- Visit us at setapart.org for more resources that can help you deepen you relationship with Christ on a daily basis.