While the world excuses men from rising to a higher standard with a “guys will be guys” mantra, we, as Christian women, can learn how to respond to these cultural mentalities by cheering men toward biblical masculinity and participating in God’s plan to strengthen the men around us. Leslie offers hope-filled perspective and practicals that will inspire you to pray in faith, become a vessel of encouragement, and use your femininity to strengthen the men around you.
God does not intend for men to live defeated by perversion and lust. It is easy to grow discouraged and resentful at the sad state of masculinity that is being played out in our culture, entertainment, or even our homes – but we must remember that with God nothing is impossible! He desires for men to reflect His strength, power, and victory even more than we do!
The principle that we are the temple of the most high God is often ignored and covered up with the worldly prescription that encourages both men and women alike to do “what feels good.” However, Jesus does not mince words about the fact that if something is leading us into an impure lifestyle, we are commanded to cut it out of our lives (see Matthew 5:27-30).
As women, we can tend to look at this fact and come up with a self-built, fleshly response to the “problem” with masculinity around us. But criticizing, nagging, and heaping guilt upon men is not the answer – and neither is shrugging our shoulders and turning a blind eye to compromise in others’ lives.
Men and women equally need the saving, delivering, empowering victory that is found only in a personal relationship with Christ!
As women, we can play a significant role in seeing men return to biblical Christianity, the problem is that often we don’t know how. The key lies in being willing, humble, and available to be a part of God’s change in the hearts of men. As you adopt these essential heart postures, you will become a vessel of grace to the men around you.
The following characteristics can be exchanged for God’s response with a little creativity and a lot of grace!
Common Femininity Pitfalls
- Men-Bashing: This attitude usually stems from disappointment, but traps men in weakness and robs them of motivation to rise from a higher standard. Instead of paralyzing men with your words, respect and reverence masculinity. Lean upon God’s grace to build up, rather than tear down, the men around you.
- Nagging: Proverbs gives two stern warnings against the pitfall of nagging. Participating in nagging only drives men farther away from what you are really trying to accomplish. 1 Peter 3 mentions the influence a wife can have over an unbelieving husband in “winning him without a word” when he beholds her virtuous, faithful reflection of Christ Himself. Whether single or married, allow the Spirit of Christ to transform you into a radiant woman of God.
- Manipulation: Using femininity to control men to give us what we want is a usurping of God’s pattern. Submit and entrust the men in your life to God. Give them room to grow into the leader that God has called them to be.
God is the only One who can change the hearts of men, but there is no One who is more qualified to accomplish this radical transformation in masculinity! Remember to diligently pray for God to have His way in the hearts of men, as well as in your interactions with them. He will be more than faithful to bring about soul-change that brings Him ultimate glory!
- Matthew 5:27-30
- Job 31:1
- Proverbs 21:19
- Proverbs 27:15
- Leslie shares about this subject in her article, The Return of Honorable Manhood.
- If you want to take this topic deeper into your own life, Leslie’s online course, Inspiring Today’s Men is a great tool! Purchase the course here.