Did you know that today’s young women are in a battle? That is why now, more than ever, the next generation is in need of healthy mentors to pour into their lives, encourage their hearts, and fasten their souls to Christ. No matter how old you are or what season of life you’re in, you can impact the life of a younger woman. This week, Leslie shares her heart on principles for mentoring and ministering to the needs of Christian young women for the past twenty years to give you the inspiration and information needed to take your first steps in reaching out or strengthen the ministry you already have.
This week I have personally been refreshed and reminded about the importance of mentoring the next generation through our Mentoring Young Women online summit, and I wanted to share with you just a few of the principles that God has shown me in my ministry to today’s young women over the past twenty years.
Something I have been continually reminded of while ministering to young women is the fact that today’s young women are in the midst of a battle for their heart, mind, soul, and future. Because of this fact, I firmly believe that mentoring needs to take on more than a big sister approach or a hang-out session with the girls in our lives. If the battle is strong and raging for their very lives, then today’s young women need true spiritual support, older women who will fight for them spiritually and encourage them with pure, undiluted truth.
Important Truths About Today’s Young Women
- They are being strategically targeted by the culture towards compromise.
- In general, young women are exposed to much more than we think.
- 60-80% of churched young people are leaving their faith by their college years.
- Often young women are secretly longing for godly older women who will draw them to a higher standard and are receptive to truth.
- Today’s Christian young people are primarily being entertained rather than encouraged biblically and practically discipled in the truths of God’s Word.
God’s solution for the crisis facing today’s young women is surprisingly simple — be aware of the battle and start with one. If you are burdened for the younger women in your life, often the first step is just that — a step. A simple step of obedience that is born out of prayer and the leading of God’s Spirit. Keep in mind that this “one” could be within your very own family. However, we can’t take a step if we don’t acknowledge or realize the battle that engulfs the hearts and minds of the girls around us. Be willing not to just see the battle, but to enter it with them and stand shoulder-to-shoulder until they reach victory in Christ Jesus. Here are some additional ideas to help you step out and into mentoring!
Simple Steps to Begin of Further Your Mentorship Journey
- Recognize the battle over today’s young women.
- Start with one simple step of obedience.
- Ask God to give you His heart for the one girl that He wants you to reach and begin there.
- Lead by example, as it says in Titus 2:4-5.
- Cultivate a willing, yielded heart that is in tune with God’s Spirit.
- Refrain from frustration or anger when you see compromise in a young woman’s life. Remember, it is the love and life of Jesus she will see in you that will draw her heart to Him.
- Above all, seek to lead a young woman to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Give her an inside look into your personal walk with the Lord. (i.e. share with her how you get close to God — have a quiet time, how to remove distractions, how to cultivate a heart of prayer, etc.)
No matter how old, how experienced, how busy we are, we must remember that each of us are called to ministry in sharing the truth of God’s Word with those He places in our path. Don’t stop short of what God might be calling you to do because you’re distracted and bogged down with the cares of life.
Begin with offering your “fishes and loaves” to the Lord. You may feel like you are under qualified for the task that is before you, take the position that Gladys Aylward did when she desired to go and pour out her life in China, take what little you have and lay it before Jesus, asking Him to use it for His glory. He will not turn away your humble offering, but will use it mightily to advance His Kingdom … one young woman at a time.
- Titus 2:4-5
There’s still time to join Leslie at the Mentoring Young Women summit! Visit us to learn more and register for this comprehensive online summit through April 2nd.